Hello, this is _hiroyuki.ta. This time, I would like to introduce Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture, which I toured by motorcycle from central Tokyo. Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture is a beautiful lake located in the center of Hakone, and is a spot where you can enjoy a spectacular view of Mt. Fuji. We will give you detailed information on the route to Lake Ashinoko in Shizuoka Prefecture, highlights, motorcycle parking, etc., so please use it as a reference.
What is Lake Ashi?
Lake Ashinoko in Shizuoka Prefecture is a caldera lake of Hakone Volcano, with an area of approximately 7 square kilometers. There are many tourist spots around the lake, such as Hakone Shrine and Gora Park. There are also pleasure boats, pirate ships, and other boats operating on the lake, and you can see Mt. Fuji and nature from the water. Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture is a place where you can enjoy the scenery of each season, including cherry blossoms and rape blossoms in the spring, fresh greenery and hydrangea in the summer, autumn leaves and cosmos in the fall, and snowy scenery and illuminations in the winter.
Route to Lake Ashi, Shizuoka Prefecture
I toured from central Tokyo to Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture on my beloved Harley-Davidson FLSB Sport Glide. The distance is approximately 150 kilometers and the journey time is approximately 2 and a half hours. The route is introduced below.
First, take the Shuto Expressway Central Loop Line/C1 from central Tokyo. The Shuto Expressway Central Loop Line/C1 is a road that allows you to see landmarks such as Tokyo Station and the Imperial Palace while driving. Take the Shuto Expressway Inner Loop Line/C1 and at Tanimachi JCT, use the left lane towards E1/Tomei/Shibuya. From here, take Shuto Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3.
Metropolitan Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3 is a road that passes through downtown areas such as Shibuya and Shinjuku and connects to the Tomei Expressway. Take Shuto Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3 and enter the Tomei Expressway. The Tomei Expressway is Japan’s first expressway and is the main road connecting Tokyo and Nagoya. Proceed along the Tomei Expressway towards Shizuoka/Gotenba.
After driving about 100 kilometers on the Tomei Expressway, exit at Gotemba IC. From here, enter National Route 138. National Route 138 is a national highway that connects Gotemba City and Numazu City, and you can enjoy views of mountains such as Mt. Fuji and Mt. Hakone while driving. Proceed along National Route 138, turn right at Fukasawa Higashi (intersection) and enter Prefectural Route 401. Prefectural Route 401 is a road that passes through tourist spots such as Hakone Pass and Hakone Skyline.
Proceed along Prefectural Route 401 and enter Hakone Skyline. Hakone Skyline is a paid sightseeing road where you can enjoy spectacular views of the Hakone mountains and Mt. Fuji. If you go straight on Hakone Skyline, you will arrive at Shizuoka Prefecture Ashinoko Observation Park. Shizuoka Prefecture Lake Ashi Observation Park is a park located northeast of Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture, and is a place where you can see Mt. Fuji and Lake Ashi.
Highlights of Lake Ashi, Shizuoka Prefecture
Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture has many attractions. I recommend the following three.
- Hakone Shrine: This shrine is located southwest of Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture and is a historical power spot. There are highlights such as the large torii gate and the red torii gate within the precincts. Also, from the torii gate on the lakeside, you can see the beautiful contrast between Mt. Fuji and Lake Ashi.
- Gora Park: A park located northwest of Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture, where you can enjoy Japanese gardens and hot springs. Inside the park, flowers and trees bloom throughout the year. Especially in spring, the approximately 3,000 cherry trees create a spectacular scenery.
- Lake Ashi Pirate Ship: A pleasure boat operating on Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture, with a distinctive pirate ship-like appearance. From inside the ship, you can enjoy views of Mt. Fuji and Lake Ashi. Events such as cosplay and performances are also held on board.
Motorcycle parking lot in Lake Ashi, Shizuoka Prefecture
There are several motorcycle parking lots in Lake Ashinoko, Shizuoka Prefecture, and the following motorcycle parking lots are available.
- Hakone Shrine Mae Motorcycle Parking: Motorcycle parking is available for free in front of Hakone Shrine. There is space for approximately 30 cars.
- Open-Air Museum Motorcycle Parking: Motorcycle parking is available for free at the entrance of the Open-Air Museum.
- Motorcycle parking lot at Lake Ashinoko Pirate Ship Togendai Boarding Terminal: Motorcycle parking lot located near Lake Ashi Pirate Ship Togendai Boarding Terminal, available for free. The number of parking spaces is limited, so if you are unable to park, you can use a nearby paid parking lot.
This time, I wrote an article about touring by motorcycle from central Tokyo to Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture. Lake Ashinoko in Shizuoka Prefecture is a spot where you can enjoy the nature of Mt. Fuji and Hakone. The route to Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture passes through the Metropolitan Expressway Inner Loop Line/C1, Metropolitan Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3, Tomei Expressway, National Route 138, Prefectural Route 401, and Hakone Skyline. Highlights of Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture include Hakone Shrine, Gora Park, and the Lake Ashi Pirate Ship. Motorcycle parking lots in Lake Ashi, Shizuoka Prefecture are located at Shizuoka Prefecture Lake Ashi Observation Park, in front of Hakone Shrine, and at the Lake Ashi Pirate Ship Togendai Boarding Terminal.
I think Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture is a place you can enjoy more if you go by bike. Please give this challenge a try. See you in the next article.
Lake Ashi in Shizuoka Prefecture