Hello, this is _hiroyuki.ta.
This time, I would like to introduce Irozaki in Shizuoka Prefecture, which I toured by motorcycle from central Tokyo.
Irozaki is a cape at the southernmost tip of the Izu Peninsula, and is a spot where you can see the rugged coastline and the border between the Pacific Ocean and the Philippine Sea.
There are also roads that are perfect for riding your favorite Harley-Davidson FLSB Sport Glide.
What is Irozaki?
Irozaki is a cape in Minamiizu Town, Kamo District, Shizuoka Prefecture, and is located at the southernmost tip of the Izu Peninsula.
Near the tip of the cape are the Irozaki Lighthouse, Ishimuro Shrine, and Kumano Shrine shrines.
The geology of the area was formed by lava flows erupted from an underwater volcano about 7 million years ago, and there are many cliffs and strangely shaped rocks. Irozaki is also the border between the Pacific Ocean and the Philippine Sea, with the Pacific Ocean on the Sagami Sea side and the Philippine Sea on the Suruga Bay side. For this reason, differences in seawater temperature and salinity occur due to the effects of ocean currents and waves, and a variety of marine life inhabits the area.
Route to Irozaki
The touring route to Nozaki was as follows.
- From Hakozaki Minatobashi Dori and Hakozaki IC, take the 22 Mukojima Line/Shuto Expressway No. 6/Route 6.
- Proceed on Shuto Expressway No. 6 to Edobashi JCT and transfer to Shuto Expressway Inner Loop Line/C1.
- Proceed on the Metropolitan Expressway City Loop Line/C1 to Shibuya JCT and transfer to the Metropolitan Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3/AH1.
- Take Shuto Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line/Route 3/AH1 to Kawasaki JCT and transfer to Tomei Expressway.
- Proceed on the Tomei Expressway to Gotemba JCT and transfer to the Shin-Tomei Expressway/Daini Tokai Expressway.
- Proceed along the Shin-Tomei Expressway/Daini Tokai Expressway to Tsukigase IC and exit onto National Route 414.
- Proceed along National Route 414 to the entrance of Kawazu-Shimoda Road/National Route 414, then enter Izu Jukan Expressway/Kawazu-Shimoda Road/National Route 414.
- Proceed along the Izu Jukan Expressway/National Route 414 until Hongo (intersection) and enter National Route 136.
- Proceed along National Route 136 to Hino (intersection) and enter Prefectural Route 16.
- Proceed on Prefectural Route 16 to Shinminatobashi (intersection), then continue on Prefectural Route 16 to Irozaki.
This route uses many expressways and toll roads, which can be quite expensive.
However, it will save you time and allow you to run more comfortably.
Along the way, you can enjoy views of Mt. Fuji and the Izu Peninsula from the Tomei Expressway and the Shin-Tomei Expressway.
In addition, the Izu Jukan Expressway and National Route 136 have many curves and tunnels along the coast, making them fun roads for biking.
Highlights of Irozaki
Irozaki has the following attractions.
- Irozaki Lighthouse: The southernmost lighthouse in Japan, with a beautiful chalk tower. From the observation deck, you can see the border between the Pacific Ocean and the Philippine Sea and the Izu Seven Islands.
- Ishimuro Shrine: This shrine is located at the tip of Irozaki and is worshiped as the god of maritime safety and business prosperity. A shrine inside the rock houses a mirror that is said to have washed up from the sea.
- Kumano Shrine Shrine: A small shrine beyond Ishimuro Shrine, located at the southernmost tip of Irozaki. From here you can enjoy a panoramic view of the coastline and cliffs.
- Irozaki Ocean Park: A tourist facility located near the Irozaki Lighthouse that displays tropical plants in a greenhouse. There is also a promenade and observation deck, as well as explanations about marine life and geology.
- Pleasure boat “Izu Cruise”: A pleasure boat that departs from Irozaki Port and allows you to see Irozaki from the sea. Depending on the course, you can also see the Hirizo Coast and the Izu Seven Islands.
Irozaki motorcycle parking lot
Irozaki has the following motorcycle parking lots.
- Irozaki Ocean Park Parking Lot: This is the closest parking lot that serves as a base for sightseeing at Irozaki Lighthouse and Ishimuro Shrine, and is accessible by a wide, flat walkway.
- Parking lot for the pleasure boat “Izu Cruise”: A parking lot located at the port, convenient for those using the pleasure boat.
This time we introduced Harley touring to Irozaki.
Irozaki is a cape at the southernmost tip of the Izu Peninsula, where you can enjoy views of the boundary between the Pacific Ocean and the Philippine Sea and the rugged coastline.
Riding a motorcycle requires using a lot of expressways and toll roads, but it saves time and allows you to ride comfortably.
The curves and tunnels along the coast are also fun.
Irozaki also has sightseeing spots such as a lighthouse and shrine, as well as facilities such as pleasure boats and hot springs.
There are several motorcycle parking lots, but please note that you may not be able to enter during busy times. Irozaki is a touring spot at the southern tip of Shizuoka Prefecture where you can enjoy spectacular views. Please come and visit us at least once.